The 3-family units commanding the best rents are 5-room units (which could be used as 3-bedroom units) which have laundry facilities in each unit. Check out the advantages to the landlord of supplying the washers/dryers:
10. Reduce tenant squabbles over who borrowed detergent in a shared-basement laundry area.
9. Write off your appliance purchases over seven years.
8. Purchase them at Lowe's or Home Depot with no payments or interest for 6 months to 1 year.
7. Charge just as much rent on the 3rd floor since they don't have to carry laundry up & down stairs.
6. Restrict tenant access to the basement since laundry is in their units.
5. Receive higher rent ($25-50 per month) since tenant doesn't have to visit coin-op laundry.
4. Reduce your cold water bill as newer washers use 1/2 the water of the older models.
3. Eliminate costly leaks since your newer washers are less likely to leak from the 3rd floor down.
2. Have more demand for your units, allowing you to choose the best tenant.
1. Newer appliances mean less 2 AM landlord maintenance calls (PRICELESS!).