Mold means money. A vent fan Nightmare.
Men covered head to toe in Hazmat outfits, rooms taped off, large fans running, disinfectant solutions, painting and sealing of wood and several thousand dollars later the homeowner can now come back to their home after evacuating while the work was being done in this 2 day process.
All this could have been avoided if the bathroom vent fan taking moist air from the bathroom was vented properly through the roof and not left pushing the moist air into the attic.
Check your bathroom vent fan. Make sure it is working properly and that it is vented through the roof. Proper ventilation that includes a ridge vent and soffit vents will also go a long way to create airflow so there is less chance for the mold to stick.
Attics, especially shallow attics like in Ranch style homes with roof having less of a pitch are prime targets for mold to grow because they are typically dark, smaller spaces that can hold moisture if not properly vented.
Don’t wait until the home inspector, who is there to inspect the home for your prospective buyer, finds this problem.
According to the CDC exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold.
In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma.
Though there are no regulations currently in Massachusetts regarding mold in a home, many home buyers have concerns about mold and home inspectors do make note of its existence.
Be pro-active protect your health and your home from mold while preventing unnecessary costs to the maintenance of your home.