Here are some simple and affordable tools for getting your home beautified for SALE! As someone who has done housekeeping and rental cleaning, I would also suggest paying someone to do it for you. A few hours of housekeeping and yard maintenance can go a long way when focused on the most consuming tasks.
1) Wash windows inside and out / polish all mirrors - Sparkle is free, and sparkle sells homes. A potential buyer may not realize why your home seems so inviting but will feel drawn to it if the windows are spotless and your mirrors reflect sunlight. Cleaning is the first step to preparing to sell your home.
2) Rake the yard / trim back bushes - Clean out dead leaves and debris in your lawn. Don't let overgrown vegetation block the windows or path to the entrance. Cutting bushes and tree limbs will let the sun inside and showcase the exterior of your home.
3) Mow diagonally and edge lawn along driveway / sidewalks - Artfully manicured lawns are edged and tell buyers you pay attention to small details. Diagonally mowed lawns make your yard appear larger.
4) Transplant tulips and daffodils or buy flowers in containers - Yellow flowers stimulate buying urges. After a long winter, everybody is anxious to see the first signs of spring. Yellow tulips and daffodils induce feelings of happiness and contentment. Arrange containers in groups of three or five near the entrance.
5) Clean drapes, curtains & blinds and open every window - Send your window coverings to the dry cleaners or wash, dry and press. Toss blinds into a soapy bathtub for a quick wash. Get rid of all accumulated dust and spider webs. Crisp linens and a spring-time breeze through the windows invites the season inside.
6) Set out fresh-smelling flowers such as just-clipped lilac branches or peonies - Why not flatter your neighbors and ask if you can borrow flowers from their yards? Natural scents are more appealing than artificial and trigger fewer allergies among those susceptible. Peony vases are designed to hold peonies upright, but wash the flowers first to avoid carrying ants inside.
7) Polish floors to a high gloss - Your hardwood floors should be refinished, if necessary. Make your ceramic and linoleum floors twinkle and shine. Bleach dull grout. Thoroughly clean all area rugs.
8) Utilize towels, throws, pillows in light colors – yellows, pinks, pale blues, lavenders - Even if it means replacing items, towels, linens, throws and sofa pillows are inexpensive accents you can buy. In soft spring colors, they will light up a room. Layer towels on bathroom towel racks and place rolled wash cloths on the counters in a fashionable pyramid.
Results. Service. Community.