Some Real Estate Brokers have told me, "Open Houses don't work. Don't waste your time." I've heard this for years. Luckily I have not listened.
My team conducts 1-3 open houses every week. On a slow week we will do one open house. We blow the doors off of our competition no matter how many we conduct. Our open houses average 35 people. This past weekend we had 47 potential Buyers, their children and relatives at our open house in Oceanside. Here are some tips that have helped my team to gain clients including listings:
- We have open houses for a total of 3 hours. We frequently reduce that to 1-2 hours.
- We invite the Neighbors to come by early for a special sneak preview.
- We invite Investors to come during a specific time window.
- When we hold a house open we have our Lender partner onsite to qualify the Buyers.
- Some of our signs tell the consumer that a Lender is present to review loan options.
- We post 10+ signs.
- We door knock around the open house.
- We call people to invite them to the event.
- We have a laptop available to show the consumers what is happening in the market real time.
- We send thank you cards to everyone that signed in.
- We call the people afterwards and thank them for coming.
From my experience, balloons and cookies baking in the oven work for new home developments. Resale is a different experience. Our Buyer-Consumers are looking at the home and envisioning making it their own. The neighborhood is already established and they want to feel that they will fit in well. Our Investors are interested in how fast the property will lease out, the schools, the parking and the overall return on their investment.
Consider the open house as a route of organic lead generation. It is your mobile office. Set up shop and attract your customers to you.
Colleen K. Cotter @ 619.804.6840
Managing Partner of www.mySanDiegoAgent.com
Broker Associate of Keller Williams Realty
Subscribe to CommentsComment