Plumbing, Closets and Sensei Grasshopper??? You Bet Cha!
Last weekend my husband, who is one of those guys that loves to do construction projects (his Dad was a contractor) started to work on expanding my master closet. To get started he first had to remove a tub in the guest bath. Well - as many remodeling projects go - astray - this one was no different.
I wrote a post about it last Sunday - Extended Remodel Not Almost Done. Our plumber came Monday AM but the job was too big for him and he had to pass on it. Oh great - now what? I've got this big hole in the ground, the walls are gone and there are pipes sticking up from everywhere.....
Oh man now what?- Maybe I should just give up the idea of an extended closet and put it back like it was? I don't know? For some reason Roger Mucci came to mind. I knew he has done a lot of decorating and remodeling for clients. Maybe he might be able to help me work this remodeling project through - to an end that made sense without breaking the bank. So I called Roger and he was more than willing to talk with me about what was going on and figuring out the best solution.
He asked me a bunch of questions:
- Why did you start this project to begin with? Because I want more closet space!
- So you don't have a big master closet already? No, it's an older home and it's just not big enough.
- Do you have any idea of what the cost will be to finish the remodel? No idea at this point.
- Can you call more plumbers to get a few more estimates? Yes I will ask around for referrals and call.
- If for some reason it's a ridiculous amount to spend are you ok with putting it back the way it was? Not really.
- Have you thought about using an organizing system in your current closet ? I have one but it's worthless!
After talking through various scenarios with Roger it became clear that first I needed to get a few more estimates to see if the project was a smart 'investment'. Being in the real estate business I like to know the dollars will add up when I sell the home at some point (ROI). Another plumber came today and he can't do the job because it's just too big for him right now. I called another plumber and he took one look at the project and said - are you sure you want to do this? It's going to be very expensive. I can do it but you're looking over $6K. Really? Seriously that is just nuts considering the amount of additional space it would give me in the master closet - plus I still would need to remodel the rest of the bathroom which puts the end dollar amount up towards $10K+. Not a chance the ROI would come even close!
Back on the phone with Roger......
- Ok let's talk about what solutions you have to work with? Ok I'm disappointed but let's figure it out.
- Tell me what you mostly put in your closet? Hanging clothes both short and long items plus other stuff.
- Do you need a lot of drawers or do you have dressers? I have 2 other dressers but they're not well organized.
- Shelving? Do you need space for purses etc? YES! It drives me nuts to search for purses!
- How about shoes? You need a place for shoes. Yes but not that many. I'm not a shoe nut.
- Do you have other closets not being utilized well? As a matter of fact there are two that are not organized.
Would it be possible to use the other closets for 'seasonal' items or things you don't use as often? Yes!
- I want you to go online and search for small closet organizer. Ok? Sure!
After I looked online I figured out the best solutions for my main closet and 3 other closets as well. Had it not been for Roger's help I'd still be trying to figure out how to organize my closet(s) and get my life back in order! Talking back and forth and emailing him - for what seems like 3 days straight now..... was so helpful! We even joked that 'we' got my husband to let the plumbing project go because it just didn't add up to big value in the short or long run. What I am going to end up with is 4 - count them - 4 organized closets - which makes so much more sense to me now! It took Roger to help me see the forest through the trees on this one...and I've lived in this home for 15 years! I am a very Happy Grasshopper! Thanks Master Sensei!
Roger says...."notice how I became part of the plan -that's how it works little grasshopper!!" LOL
Plumbing, Closets and Sensei Grasshopper? You bet cha!