It’s amazing how many homes are not in top condition for showings. There is nothing more frustrating than showing a home that could have looked so much better if the owners had just taken the time to get it “market ready.”
Getting your home “market ready” not only increases the price you receive but shortens the time you will stay on the market.
Here are some guidelines for getting your home ready to sell.
- Remove clutter and clean and organize closets. Rent a storage unit and box up non-seasonal clothing, excess furniture, and the normal stuff that sits in the bottom of your closets. Make sure there is “nothing” on the floors of closets, clothes hangers are evenly spaced, and shelves are neat and organized.
- Clean the house or have it cleaned. Clean bathrooms, floors, baseboards, kitchens and windows.
- Organize your kitchen. There is never enough counter space so put away non-essential items, hide the toaster, put the dishes away and organize your pantry.
- Paint and touch-up where needed. Along the same lines – caulk trim where it has become separated from the wall – particularly as you walk up stairs. If the trim outside needs painting have it done.
- Have the carpet cleaned if needed.
- Replace burned out lights and make sure all lights work.
- Change filters and clean return vents and air vents.
- If you smoke - stop – it’s bad for your health and is a real turnoff to home-buyers.
- Mulch the shrub beds and put out some flowers. Give the house the best “curb appeal” possible.
If this sounds like a lot of work – you’re right – it is. However these simple steps are inexpensive and will put thousands of dollars more in your pocket.
If you plan on selling give me a call @ 804-521-5601 and let me show you how to make your home “market ready.” You will make more money and your home will sell quicker.