"A house that smells of smoke is such a huge turn off to about 99% of buyers - sometimes they won't even go in to look around. And yes, sellers are often totally oblivious to the smell since they are used to it and can't believe it'd be an issue!" says commenter Nancy Conner on the Original Blog Post.
Burning Up Your Home's Equity, One Cigarette At A Time
Besides the healthy risks to smoking, lighting up can be hazardous your home's equity as well. Got a home to sell in Pineville La that has been smoked in? Here are some steps to help reduce the damage.
- Stop smoking inside ASAP-- This means RIGHT NOW, 100% of the time. Even when it is cold outside, go outside to enjoy that smooth tobacco flavor. "Containing" the smoke in one room is about as effective as "low-Tar" cigarettes. Remember them?
- Replace or Remove All drapes and bedding-- That fabric has served as a "smoke sponge" the last twenty years. And grandma's couch? Better put it to the curb as well...
- Allow the house to breathe-- Weather permitting, open all windows and doors every day.
- Paint interior walls--Ever removed a painting from a smoker's house? Odds are the silhouette from the frame is still there.
- Have the Carpets Professionally cleaned-- Just like the drapes, odds are the carpet has collected smoke over the years. Be prepared to replace the carpet if cleaning does not work. And no, a flooring allowance is not a substitute.
- Replace any "yellowed" air returns, fixtures, and light switches-- Such items run off more buyers than an active Poltergeist.
- Have One Designated OUTSIDE Area for Smoking-- This needs to be an outdoor space well away from ANY entry point. And the garage is off limits. What if it rains? Then smoke in your car...Remove all cigarette buds from the premises. No, the lawn or flower bed is not your new ash tray.
- Burn an oil-based candle-- Such devices are great for absorbing odors. Provided you do not add to the problem by smoking again.
- Have Your clothes professionally dry cleaned--Yep, that stink is in your clothes. Guess what happens when said articles are placed in the closet and the door shut? Smells like a Waffle House Circa 1985...
If these steps fail, the sellers best bet is an aggressive price reduction. Essentially the price will be reduced to the point where buyers won't care that the home smells like an ash tray. Want top dollar for your home? Take the cigarettes outside. Need more tips on selling your home? Click Alexandria La Real Estate to learn more.
Searching for a Top real estate agent in Alexandria Louisiana? Need help selling your Pineville, Louisiana home? Either way call Doug today!
Century 21 Millennium
Century 21 Millennium
donahue Ferry Road
Pineville, La, 71360
Each office independently owned and operated. Equal opportunity housing. Doug Rogers is a licensed real estate agent in Louisiana