Recommending Contractors for 203(k) projects

Home Inspector with EDP Engineers & Inspectors, LLC

With the large number of 203(k) projects either in process or on the horizon, it is all the more important to have an increased pool of qualified contractors.  Sometimes, the lender and the homebuyer (or owner) may ask the 203(k) consultant to provide some recommendations of contractors.

Is their a criteria for 203(k) consultants to make these recommendations? 

Posted by

Engineers and inspecctors renovating our housing inventory one house at a time. Please visit our website at Please let us know if we may be of service.

Gerald Reece, PE, 203K Consultant

EDP Engineers & Inspectors


Comments (1)

Mike Young, covering the USA - Las Vegas, NV
FHA 203k Consultant 916-758-1809

Gerald, I typically recommend contractors that have shown they are responsible and can get a job done. They all have to go through a validation process where references are checked, proof of insurance is verified, and proof of funds in the bank to get 10% of that project completed in either cash or ability to borrow from suppliers. This process takes about a week and is performed by the lender. 

May 26, 2013 02:16 AM