Scott Nowling has written a great localism post about his great city .. St Charles, Illinois. After reading the top 10 things that he loves I can see why many want to live there. Stop by and comment on this great post by Scott. Thanks Scott for sharing!!
Ten Things I Love about St. Charles, IL
In the spirit of David Letterman, and because I'm just feeling good about life today, I thought I would share the Ten Things I Love about St. Charles. Like Dave, we'll do the list in reverse order:
10. The Schools.....Maybe this sounds like shameless boosterism from a former school board member, but the experience my daughters have had in CUSD 303 has been outstanding. There are academic and extra-curricular opportunities here that either aren't available in smaller schools or ultra-competitive in larger ones. Additionally, there are many private schooling opportunities for those looking for that type of experience.
9. The Parks and Open Spaces....I grew up in Michigan where the outdoors was just taken for granted. Because St. Charles is so close to Chicago, it took foresight to preserve land, parks and trails for outdoor enjoyment. There are dog parks, golf courses, a HUGE bike path system connecting the metropolitan area, water parks, soccer fields and just lots and lots and lots of parks.
8. Location...So as a Realtor the saying is location, location, location. How cool is it to have an hour train ride into Chicago and all that it provides while sleeping in an area where the deer can walk into your yard at night?
7. It Feeds Your Faith....There are active churches for almost every faith. This is a private and deeply personal choice. I found my church home and so many others do as well. With active congregations the community benefits from service projects and outreach efforts.
6. Parades, Festivals and Community Spirit...This seems like a quaint notion, but the fact that there is a Scarecrow Festival, a River Festival, a St. Patrick's Day Parade is really cool. The tradition of the high schools decorating the windows of the downtown stores during homecoming is one that I'm not sure can be replicated. If you want fun diversions, we've got 'em!
5. The Arts...The Fine Line Creative Arts Center, Norris Cultural Arts Center, Fox Valley Repertory, St. Charles Singers, Steel Beam Theatre,
and Tony & Friends Art Studio, are but a few of the cultural gems in St. Charles. The high schools also have a history and tradition in excelling in the arts.
4. Pig Out....There are tons of restaurants in downtown St. Charles and plenty of options in the City. If I were to have the perfect "all restaurant" day, I'd have breakfast at Gabby's, a salad for lunch at Townhouse Books (the AWESOME bookstore/restaurant combo), and dinner at Franchesca's. Since I was downtown, I'd drop by Zaza's for dessert and McNally's for a nightcap.
3. The Houses....Sure, I'm biased as a Realtor, but I love the variety of housing available to people looking to live here. Want a beautiful home in a subdivision, check. A downtown townhome, check. Older, historic homes, check. If you want to search, go to www.scottnowling.com for available options.
2. The People....This is where I've chosen to live. I've raised my children here and am growing a business. I have found people here to be down-to-earth and enjoyable. Honest. Caring. The people of this community have made my house be connect to a neighborhood and that neighborhood connect to a community. We have supported others when we could and leaned on others for help when we had to do so. The people have created....
1. A Sense of Place....I can't really put my finger on it but maybe it's the mixture of a rich sense of history coupled with the new residents that creates a vibrancy, a sense that good things are happening and we're all part of that together. This place seemed to choose me in 2005. I'm so happy it did.
Did you like this article?
Please share it, like it, tweet it, reblog it or show it the love in the way you feel best about! I would also like to hear from you in the comments below, even if it is just a simple THANK YOU!