I always knew banner ads didn’t work very well, and have always opted for Google AdWords Text Ads instead, but when I came across this article from HubSpot I was shocked.
The average banner ad has a 0.1% clickthrough rate (CTR), and the standard 468×60 banner has a 0.04% CTR. Those numbers are pretty shocking, but the stats below are almost depressing.
10 Shocking But True Display Advertising Stats
- You are more likely to complete NAVY SEAL training than click a banner ad. (Source: Solve Media) Tweet This
- Only 8% of internet users account for 85% of clicks on display ads (and some of them aren’t even humans!). (Source: comScore) Tweet This
- You are more likely to get a full house while playing poker than click on a banner ad. (Source: Solve Media) Tweet This
- The average person is served over 1,700 banner ads per month. Do you remember any? (Source: comScore) Tweet This
- You are more likely to summit Mount Everest than click a banner ad. (Source: Solve Media) Tweet This
- The average clickthrough rate of display ads is... Read the full article »