Day Under the Oaks Returns to Santa Rosa Junior College
Santa Rosa Junior College’s highly popular open house for the community will take place on Sunday May 5, 2013, from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m on the beautiful SRJC Campus in Santa Rosa.
Day Under the Oaks showcases the many educational departments and programs at Santa Rosa Junior College. It has been a favorite community tradition in Sonoma County for nearly 30 years. As a long time attendee, and proud SRJC alumni, I’m thrilled to see Day Under the Oaks return after a 5 year hiatus caused by budget constraints.
Here are just a few of the activities on the schedule:
- Exhibits and demonstrations from instructional departments
- A delicious multicultural array of foods
- Traditional Native American dancers
- Magic Shows in the Chemistry Lab (note: not appropriate for very young children)
- Explore the human brain in the Biology Department
- Planetarium shows every 45 minutes
- Shone Farm Petting Zoo
- Spring Plant Sale featuring decorative and vegetable starts, including heirloom tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and strawberry plants, herbs, and more
- Jazz, Latin, and contemporary music performances
- Meet Bucky, the mechanical horse used in SRJC's Equine Science therapeutic riding program
- Learn all about bees and how they help agriculture
- Investigate rocks, minerals and maps
- Participate in a GPS scavenger hunt
And much more!
I've recently returned to Sonoma County after living in Southern California for several years, so I’m especially looking forward to attending Day Under the Oaks this year. The Sonoma County weather is almost guaranteed to be perfect. And, with nearly 200 booths, exhibits, and performances to see and experience on Santa Rosa Junior College’s beautiful oak lined campus, Day Under the Oaks is sure to have something for everyone.
The Santa Rosa Junior College campus is located at 1501 Mendocino Avenue in Santa Rosa, CA and is easy to find from both the 101 Freeway and Old Redwood Highway. The hours are 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Admission is free and parking is available on campus.
(Photo collage courtesy of Santa Rosa Junior College)