Making a Move? Tips to Ease the Process
Spring is a busy time in the real estate industry. For people planning on making a move in time for the school year its prime time shopping season for homes. The moving process, like anything that involves major change, can be super stressful. Being well prepared and organized can go a long way towards making the move a smoother and happier experience.
Here are some tips to help simplify the process:
- Create a moving master list to organize yourself with all the tasks that need to get done and a time line for doing it and stick to it.
- Prepare your new home for the move. Its easier to paint, make repairs and improvements in an empty space than a cluttered one. Arrange for all the work to be done before the move.
- Arrange for movers. Get estimates and book one. Make sure that they are properly insured.
- File for change of address. You can do this in advance of your move and leave an As Of forwarding address.
- You'll want to start fresh in your new home. Arrange to clean curtains and all the bedding that you'll be moving before the move so that it will all be fresh and clean.
- Start collecting boxes for packing. Groceries and appliance stores are good sources. When you begin filling those boxes, do it according to the room they belong in at your destination and mark them accordingly. If you're dismantling items, its a good idea to take some photos so that you'll know just how to put things back together again when your're ready.
- Get rid of what you don't need before you move. If you don't plan on keeping it don't take it with you. And, while you're going thru all your things to determine whether you'll be taking it with you or not, get them organized by the rooms they belong in - in your new home.
These are just tip of the iceberg. If you have any other tips on how to take the stress out of moving and easing the process, please share them here.