I've seen some posts that tend to bash part time agents as if they are the root of all evil in the real estate profession. I guess I find that rather offensive. After all, who defines "full" versus "part time", and what concrete measures are used to measure the effectiveness of either ? Here are some of the assumptions I've seen, and my knee jerk reaction to them.
- Part time agents are just looking for entertainment money: In today's economy, its not unusual for people to have multiple jobs. It may take every possible avenue of earning to meet the needs of one's family. I know a lot of part time agents, but they are usually just covering the essentials and responsibly saving for their later years.
- Part time agents don't know how to work with customers: Wow ! My other business has been successful for over 30 years and it is totally client based. I only earn when I meet their needs. The same applies to real estate, and I guess the job is getting done because many of my clients have had me handle multiple transactions.
- Part time agents don't have the training: Gee. No matter how much time I invest, my license requires me to take classes just like anyone else, and pass the same exams. I also invest a lot of time studying to be proficient as a Realtor.
- Part time agents don't communicate: If you email me, you will get a personal reply, usually within minutes. If you call, I'll answer the phone, or if I'm on the line, I'll return your call immediately. If you ask me a question, and I don't have the answer, I'll get it and be back to you before many minutes pass.
- Part time agents are sloppy with the paperwork: You can't work two or more jobs and be inefficient. My files are not only complete, by my notes are quite exact. If we ever get in a transaction, and you have something go missing, or forget something, I'll have it for you right away.
You may have had some bad experiences, but please don't generalize to all of us who are involved in additional forms of work. My part time involves a lot of hours every week. Because I set very high standards for serving all of my clients, I've adopted methods for being very efficient, while maintaining expertise in two very divergent fields. My clients are happy, and my peers never find my work lacking ! If we are to compete, lets base it on how well we serve our clients, and not the fact that you don't do anything else, and I do.
And please, smile ! It's been a really nice day !