The real estate market is recovering but still faces hurdles, notably from tight mortgage credit, but problems with a sizeable share of real estate appraisals are also holding back, or even nullifying, home sales, according to survey findings by the National Association of REALTORS®.
Most appraisers of Montgomery AL real estate are competent and provide good valuations that are compliant with the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice. However, appraisals generally lag market conditions, and some changes to the appraisal process have been causing problems in recent years, including the use of out-of-area valuators without local expertise or full access to local data, inappropriate comparisons, and excessive lender demands.
NAR has long advocated for an independent appraisal process and enhanced education requirements that allow appraisers to produce the most accurate reports possible. However, appraisers have faced undue pressure – whether from a lender or an AMC – to complete appraisals using distressed sales as comps, to complete an appraisal in an unacceptably short time frame, and to complete a scope of work that is not justified by the fee being offered.
Thus, hiring the right home inspector for your Montgomery AL real estate is as important as the actual home inspection itself. Once your Realtor has given you the names of a few appraisers, you need to begin your own research:
- Ask potential appraisers about their education, qualifications, professional affiliations, and certifications.
- Do not hire appraisers who either perform repairs or refer contractors. Although some states allow this, it could potentially represent a conflict of interest.
- Ask about the technology and methodology used during the inspection. Look for appraisers who use computers and take photos during inspections and incorporate those photos into the report. Do they include foreclosures and short sales in their comparisons?
- Find out how long they’ve been in business.
- Read client testimonials. Do they have testimonials from three delighted clients, or thirty?
- Read about their resumes and ask about their experience.
- Be sure that they are familiar your community and have done previous appraisals there.
- Assess the appraiser's experience with your type of Montgomery AL real estate.
Sandra Nickel and the Hat Team have distinguished themselves as leaders in the Montgomery AL real estate market. Sandra assists buyers looking for Montgomery real estate for sale and aggressively markets Montgomery AL homes for sale. Sandra is also an expert in helping families avoid foreclosure through short sales and is committed to helping families in financial hardship find options. For more information you can visit AvoidForeclosureMontgomery.com.
Interested in buying a bank-owned home? Get bank-owned listings alerts FREE!
You can reach Sandra by filling out the online contact form below or give her a call anytime.