Houston home buyers can receive help with home ownership through the Homebuyer Assistance Program offered by the City of Houston Housing and Community Development. This program provides an opportunity for low-to-moderate income families to own a home without the fear of coming up with a substantial down payment. One of the added benefits of the program is that it increases home ownership within Houston neighborhoods especially communities going through revitalization. HAP offers 3 different downpayment program options for those that qualify. They are Houston Homebuyer Assistance program which offers (up to $19,500 in assistance), Houston HOPE (up to $30,000 in assistance), and Workforce Housing (up to $30,000 in assistance).
General Eligibility Requirements (varies program to program):
- Homebuyer must not currently own real estate
- Homebuyer must qualify for a mortgage loan from an Authorized Lending Partner
- Homebuyer must meet income guidelines
- Home must be primary residence
Why HAP program?
- As a home buyer you can get up to $30,000 toward down payment for your home.
Who should apply for HAP program?
- Any City of Houston resident that qualifies.
How you can apply?
- Request a homebuyer assistance package by calling 713-522-HOME
- Attend an eight-hour homebuyer education (classroom) course provided by HUD approved Housing Counseling Agency (list found at http://www.houstontx.gov/housing/resource.html)**.
- Meet with an authorized lender (list found at http://www.houstontx.gov/housing/resource.html)**
After you have met with the lender and attended your eight hour course, you may contact a Realtor and start searching for your home!
For more information about the Homebuyer Assistance Program, please visit www.houstonhousing.org
**You will need to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the specified list.
Subscribe to CommentsComment