All to often I see sellers overlook the value impact an up-to-date and tastefully renovated bathroom can have on the sale of their home. Bathrooms can be one of the biggest selling features sending buyers into a frenzy to write an offer. With that being said, a worn out and dated bathroom can actually be a huge deterant sending buyers packing in pursuit of a less exhaustive home.
So what can you do if you are trying to sell a home with an outdated bathroom?
1. You can hire a contractor, gut and give your bathroom a face-lift.
This option is fine if you have the budget and you will get the return on your investment when you sell, otherwise you may want to consider option 2. Option 2 you can still bring in a "handyman" but many of these items you can "do-it-yourself".
2. New bathroom on a budget.
- Match Bathroom Accessories - Updating and matching the metals and shapes of the accessories such as light switch plates, lighting and the bathroom mirror can create a cohesive designer look and give a fresher and more up-to-date appearance.
- Upgrade the Vanity - Bathroom vanities are so inexpensive today thanks to big box stores such as Home Depot and Lowes, there is really no reason to hold on to that 1950s curtain covered bathroom vanity.
- Replace the Shower Curtain and Liner - Replace the soap scum liner and over the top shower curtain. You can try scrubbing the liner but a new liner is very inexpensive and will always look better at the end of the day and replace the colourful, whimsical or Mickey Mouse covered shower curtain for something light, simple and elegant. It will make a small bathroom look larger, cleaner and fresher.
- Is Your Bathroom Trapped In The 1970s Era Of Colourful Fixtures? Fear not there are affordable options. Toilets can be easily replaced and on a budget for approximately $90 to $180 depending on whether you want to upgrade with a dual flush and rather than replace the tub, you can reglaze it for $200 to $350. At the end of the day, white fixtures are always better. Like you're shower curtain, white fixtures can help to make a small bathroom feel light, clean, fresh and spaceous.
- Are Your Towels Worn, Ripped, Or Frayed? An inexpensive way to add a fresh look to a bathroom is to add new white towels and here is your chance to combine them with a punch of colour. soft pastels can create a spa-like look and give buyers a sense of rest and relaxation.
- Does The Tile And Grout Look Grubby And Dirty And No Matter How Much You Clean You Cannot Achieve A Clean Look? - Acid etching is an excellent way to clean up grimy tiles and grout, but exercise caution as these acids are highly caustic and really should be applied by a professional. A tube of white caulking around the tub can really freshen up what's behind the shower curtain because you know buyers will look.
- Does Your Bathroom Look Cluttered? Some organizing shelves either within your vanity or a shelving unit against a wall can help to clean up a bathroom's appearance and leave it looking clean and organized.
Based on my above recommendations you can fresh your bathroom and bring in a higher rate of return on your home. Just to give you an idea, for some new accessories, toilet, reglazed bathtub, vanity and shower curtain I spent $685, just by doing a few fixes myself I have brought in an additional $2700 return. Was it worth $685? I think so.
Although there are many other creative ways to inexpensively update a bathroom, above are simply a few favourites. If you have any questions or would like a consultation on how to up-grade your bathroom, don't hesitate to contact us.