Hurricane Season 2013-Tips for Getting Prepared-What to Pack in a “To Go Box! (Part 2)
In Part 1 in this series I made suggestions about Things You Can Do Now to Be Prepared for the Hurricane Season. One of those tips is to prepare a “To Go” Box.
What is it you want in your “To Go” box?
You will want to have in it items that you would need if you had to evacuate your home..... if you had to leave for a shelter or to stay with others. What if you could not return to your home for days? And sadly, what if your home was destroyed?
What to Pack? (Make sure your pack is easy to carry and waterproof)
1. Important papers & numbers-this includes identification (driver’s license & passports), emergency contact numbers, including your insurance carrier, medical information; prescription information. (Yes, we have numbers programmed into our cell phones but what if the phone’s battery was dead? When is the last time you dialed the number of a relative?)
2. A flashlight, batteries, matches, Glo-Sticks and a headlamp (for hands free lighting!)
3. First aid kit, bug spray, sunscreen, baby wipes.
4. Emergency cash and quarters. Don’t get all 20’s! You’ll need smaller bills as well. (ATM machines need electricity!)
5. A knife, duct tape, plastic garbage bags, toilet paper, can opener.
6. Water and non-perishable food.
7. Medications, extra glasses, contacts
8. Extra clothing, durable shoes
9. Charging cords for our gear...cameras, phones, tablets, laptops. Thumb drives, backups of your computer information. Your info may be in the clouds but you may not have access to it.
10. Small radio and batteries or one that is solar operated.
You will want to personalize your pack to meet your needs and that of your family. It’s a good idea to have a backpack for each family member.
If there are items that you will need to include at the last minute, keep a list of them so you won’t forget them in the panic to leave.
Don’t forget to pack for your pets!!! You will need food, medication, a leash, a favorite toy, and don’t forget their papers showing their vaccination documentation.
These are just ideas and suggestions. Think about what you would need to get your life back
in order if you were displaced.