Dear Team Zuhl,
I would like to sell my home in Clark. What should I do first?
As you begin preparing to sell your home, here are a few steps you need to make early in the process.
First, if there are any repairs necessary in your home, make them now, before you list the home. Things like leaky roofs, dead light bulbs, and broken windows need to be in working condition before you show your home.
In terms of home improvements, you may want to consider making improvements that will increase the value of your home. Depending on your time frame and budget, there are some home improvements - like a new front door, for example - that will help to sell your home faster and will increase the price you get for your home.
For more information on preparing your home, here is a link to a free video called "Preparing your home to sell." It's filled with information that can help you make decisions about what to do.
The next step is to decide if you want to use an agent or sell your home yourself. If you're going to sell yourself, then please click here to learn how to market your home effectively. If you prefer to let a professional do the marketing for you, then it's time to interview agents. Most sellers hire the first agent they interview, while others continue looking. However many agents you interview, you want to choose one that you trust. Of course, the agent will have a key to your home, but more importantly, they will be your representative in negotiations in what may be the biggest financial decision you ever make. You also want to make sure that your agent has a vibrant marketing plan.
Regarding pricing your home, your agent will no doubt have advice to offer and, if you've chosen an agent you trust, you'll want to listen to that advice. You also want to educate yourself on the market conditions in your neighborhood. We've linked some local market reports below to help you get started.
Good luck, Susie!
For more information on selling a home:
- 3 Simple Steps To Selling Your Home Fast - 03/26/12
- 4 Ways to Get Union County Homes to Sell Quicker!! - 01/12/12
For more information on Clark and Clark Real Estate:
- Real Estate Market Report for Clark, NJ for April, 2013 - 05/06/13
- Why we love Clark, NJ
- Clark, NJ, Market Report for January-March, 2013
- Clark to build a new Town Center
- How long will my Union County home be on the market?
- A Historical look at the January Real Estate Market in Clark
- Clark Market Report - January-November, 2012
- What's Happening in the Clark Real Estate Market? - 10/25/12
- How do additional bathrooms or bedrooms affect market value in Clark? - 10/17/12
- Clark Market Report - August 2011 to August 2012
- Free Market Analysis of Clark, NJ
- 108 Homes Sold in Clark, NJ, so far in 2012! - 07/09/12
- It's time to buy in Clark! - 02/26/12
- Clark, NJ, Market Study - 02/13/12