As a property owner in the city of North Ridgeville, you may want to make some changes to your home such as additions, decks, storage buildings or other alterations. Whatever changes you are planning, chances are that you will need one or more permits from the Building Department. All construction, renovations, alterations, and demolitions require a building permit. The process begins when you submit a completed application form with the supporting drawings, if required, for review by the Building Department.
A building permit is your formal permission to begin construction, demolition, addition, or renovation on your property.
The Building Department's certified plan examiners must review your plans to ensure that they comply with the Residential Code of Ohio, local Zoning Ordinances, and other applicable regulations. Building permits regulate types of construction allowed and ensure that building standards are met. The building permit process protects the owner's interests and those of the community at large, and helps to ensure that structural changes are safe.
By obtaining a permit, you can also take advantage of the professional expertise of the Building Department's State of Ohio Certified Inspectors. Our staff, plan examiners, and inspectors can offer suggestions to help you solve or avoid construction problems. It is to your advantage to ensure that you or your contractor obtain the necessary permits and schedule the required inspections.
You will need a building permit if you plan to:
- Renovate, repair or add to a house
- Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
- Install, change, or remove partitions and load bearing walls
- Make new openings for, or change the size of, doors and windows
- Build a detached garage, outbuilding or storage shed
- Build a balcony or deck
- Finishing a basement
- Install or modify heating, plumbing or air-conditioning systems
- Install or reconstruct chimneys or fireplaces
- Install or add to a driveway
- Build a fence
- Install a lawn sprinkler system
- Put in an in-ground or above ground pool