In our online culture today with trying to keep up with our social media, marketing, blogging and a myriad of other tasks, it can be easy to forget the key to our success: our clients.
As real estate agents, you’re constantly being pulled in a hundred different directions, most of which are important, and finding the time to devote to each specific client can be tough. Yet, great customer service is one of the tried and true keys of a successful business and should remain on the forefront of our minds.
So, what makes for great customer service? Here are ten tips that can serve as a quick refresher course to get us all back on track.
1. Respond ASAP- This may seem basic, but responding as soon as possible lets the client know you’re on top of it and that you respect them enough to not put them off. Even if you’re not able to take care of the issue at hand immediately, acknowledging them shows you’re considerate of their needs.
2. Keep clients in the know- This is especially true with home buyers and sellers who are anxious to close on a deal. Make sure they are in the loop and are the first ones to know when new developments take place.
3. Go above and beyond- It can be tempting, especially when you’re busy, to only do the minimum. But providing great customer service will always include going above and beyond what they’re asking of you. As a real estate agent, you can probably think of many ways to put this into practice!
4. Fix your mistakes- Admitting you’re wrong or you’ve messed up is never easy. But guess what? The client will most likely find out eventually. Take responsibility and fix the problem right away. Letting your client know what happened and how you fixed it will be a breath of fresh air and will help build their trust and respect.
5. Listen to your clients needs- This is key! Take the time to truly listen to your clients and not just hear what they’re saying. Getting in touch with your clients needs or concerns will give you deeper insight into how you can serve them. Of course you’re the expert, but listening and guiding your clients is the key to successfully serving your clients.
6. Keep your promise- If you say you’re going to do something. Do it. It shows that you’re a professional and that they can count on you to follow through. If you have trouble remembering what you said you were going to do, take a minute to jot notes after a conversation with a client so that you don’t forget.
7. Don’t confuse clients with jargon- There are a myriad of real estate terms that your clients are not going to know. Make sure that you’re bringing conversations to a level that makes sense to them, without making them feel dumb. If you’re using real estate terms, take a minute to quickly interject a brief explanation. This will help educate them at the same time!
8. Be patient- As real estate agents you’ve all dealt with those difficult clients. (I’m sure vivid stories are coming to mind even now!) Yet, no matter pushy they are and no matter how many times you’ve answered the same question; being patient is crucial. If you lose your cool and begin to show your annoyance, your professionalism goes out the window. If you need to, take a few minutes to step away from them and collect your composure. Never answer an email or a text when you’re frustrated and if they are pushing their boundaries, address it in a professional manner.
9. Know everything you need to know- You’re the expert. If you’re dealing with a seller, know all that you can about the house, the comps and have a detailed plan of how you’ll get their home sold. If your client is a buyer, know their needs and wants, the current homes on the market and any new or updated processes of buying a home. Simply put? They’re paying you to be the expert, so make sure you know everything you need to know!
10. Put yourself in their shoes- This seems like the oldest saying in the book, but this adage will go a long way. Providing the customer service that you would expect will ensure they have a great experience in working with you! Keep this at the forefront of your mind and you’ll do great!
These basic tips for great customer service are what can help you stand out from your competition and help create the successful real estate business of your dreams. Treating people right will go a long way and can’t be substituted for a flashy website or an outstanding online presence. While these things are important, your client always need to remain number one!
We’d love your feedback! Do you find it hard or easy to offer great customer service? Why or why not?
Blogging & Copywriting Specialist