Addison Pacesetters Learn About Building & Home Inspections.
Addison Pacesetters (Addison, Texas residents 50+ years of age) meet the first Wednesday of each month at Dunn Bros. on Belt Line Road and learn about the Town of Addison. This month, Bruce Hopewell, a former Addison building inspector, spoke to us. Since he retired from the Town, he's doing home inspections (McCool's Property Inspections, 972-880-1414). Here are some suggestions from his presentation and the Q & A session that followed:
- Clean or replace AC filters at least once a month.
- Outside AC condensers in the shade operate more efficiently and use less electricity than those in direct sunlight.
- Clean your outside AC coils with a hose. It will help lower your energy bills.
- Keep debris and high grass away from the condenser so airflow isn't blocked.
- Save energy and $$ by setting your thermostat to 78 in the summer and 68 in the winter.
- Don't close vents in unused rooms if you've got central air.
- New high efficiency AC units use up to 40% less electricity than older models.
- Inadequate insulation can cause you to lose as much as 40% of your cool air.
- The average 10-15 year old home has R-11 to R-15 insulation but needs a minimum of R-30 (about 5-6 inches more). R49 meets Enegry Star requirements.
- Radiant barrier helps reduce annual energy bills.
Next month, the first Wednesday is July 3rd. Come out and join the Addison Pacesetters at Dunn Bros. and learn about the town of Addison. The speakers begin their presentations at 10:30 am. Come early, grab a cup of coffee. The Mayor holds court at 10:00 am, so if you have questions about Addison, that's a good time to get answers. See you next month with the Addison Pacesetters at Dunn Bros.