The following "10 Things That Buyers Will Not Tolerate No Matter The Market" by Kerry Klun article is spot on.
If you are a Seller, and believe Buyers will tolerate anything, you are wrong. In today's strong market, you will still receive offers but they will end up being Low-Ball Offers (ouch). For all home sellers (Seller or Buyer Market) who want to maximize the price you receive for your home, you must take heed!
It really doesn't matter if we are in a Buyer's Market or a Seller's Market. There are just some things that Buyer's will not tolerate. OK, sure, you may be able to sell your property, but if these items are not addressed, I guarantee that you will be leaving money on the table on the day of your closing!
Again, no matter what the market, Buyers do not have much patience with any of the following:
- Cigarette smoke - Since so many areas are smoke free these days people have become much more sensitive to the smell of it. If your property smells like a stale ashtray, just imagine dollar signs flying out the windows.
- Clutter or mess - Some people CAN see past the decorating (or lack there of) in properties. But not all of them. In fact, it takes a special person to be able to see past piles of magazines, books, knick-knacks and too much furniture.
- Outdated décor - As in the above example, not everyone can see past flowered wallpaper, green shag carpeting and gold appliances. These items may have been popular in their time but not in 2013.
- Property that is in need of repair - When I have showed properties that have obvious deferred maintenance, buyers will ALWAYS round up the actual cost of a repair. For example, if it would cost a couple of hundred dollars to paint a room, a buyer will round that number up to $1,000.
- Dark interiors - Dark and dingy rooms always feel smaller. A Buyer will view a dark interior as being smaller and less desirable.
- Overpowering colors - I once sold an absolutely adorable 2 bedroom condo. The 2nd bedroom was painted Halloween orange. I asked the seller to re-paint the room. She denied. After dozens of showings and a few really "low ball" offers, my Seller re-painted the orange room and we were under contract at full price within a week. That isn't a fluke folks!
- Pet or cooking odors - One of the problems with normal home odors is that the owner usually becomes accustomed to them. If your house smells like a dirty cat box, I have had buyers that won't even look at the rest of the home, they just leave. Opportunity (and money) lost.
- Overgrown landscaping and a poor entrance - First impressions mean a lot. If your lawn is overgrown, or, if the lawn isn't mowed, Buyers will just drive on by. Opportunity lost.
- Inflexibility with showings - If buyers cannot get into your property to see it, they cannot buy it. Yes, you may be able to sell it, but you WILL be leaving money on the table when you walk away fro m the closing table. A majority of buyers will not bother to try to set up a 2nd showing.
- Dirt of any kind - This may be listed as #10, but it is paramount. EVERYTHING in your property MUST be spotlessly clean. Potential Buyers WILL look in closets, cupboards and in the basement. Go through every room in the house. If you cannot handle the cleaning yourself, hire a crew to do it for you.
Call me, I would be more than happy to go over each one of these points with you when you are ready to sell your home. As your Broker, I want you to get the MOST out of your home when you sell!
If You have any questions about Space Coast Area Homes or any Brevard County Real Estate...Please contact me at Kerry@kerryklun.com or 321-626-5968. Visit us on the web at www.SpaceCoastAreaHomes.com
Posted By: Kerry Klun - 321-626-5868