So much to do with what seems to be so little time!
Here's a Checklist to help you with those little Moving Details that can get lost in the chaos.
- Pick up any items you still have at your dry cleaners or other repair places.
Place personal records in a safe place for the move with easy access.
-Medical information - Doctor #‘s - School Records - Bank accounts
- Vet Records - Vehicle Info - Insurance Info
- Keep a list of phone numbers and contact information for your current location. At some point, you'll be asked the address of your last residence and while it may still be fresh in your mind for a month...not so much later. You'll have so many others numbers to remember it's nice to have a record.
- Cancel, transfer or give your new address for any club memberships you may have.
- If you have EFT or Automatic Payments set up for your utilities or other services, make sure they are stopped after your final payment.
- Return any Library Books
Apply for change of address with Post Office
- Magazines and other subscriptions
- Credit Cards
- Financial institutions, including stock and investment accounts
- Insurance accounts
- Recurring Internet accounts such as Amazon.com
- House Insurance - Make sure it is in place
- Contact Movers/Rent Moving Truck
- Transfer Utilities effective for the date of title transfer
- Cancel Services like Daily Newspaper, Lawn Care, Diaper Delivery
- Make Pet arrangements
- Make Child Care arrangements
- Have locks changed and/or leave keys and openers
- If you are the seller, leave warranty information on appliances and mechanics, leave keys and garage door openers, leave operating instructions when applicable
- Final Walk Through on the house
- Order change of address cards to be mailed to family and friends
It's not uncommon to have a delay in the actual close of the house. Have a Plan B in place just in case the final closing/sale day of the house is delayed for any reason. You may want to ask services that you've hired, what happens if the closing of the house is delayed, thus making the move delayed? A delay in the close can throw everything off! Being prepared for the worst will help immensely.
Copyright © by Christine Pappas 2013 *ALL RIGHTS RESERVED*