One of the hardest things for a family to deal with is living in a product. Here are some tips to help speed up the process.
- Keeping the house 'up' while it is on the market; Often times tidy spaces are the most difficult to maintain. One of the best benefits in staging is ridding yourself and your family of the clutter that makes the messes. Mom, Dad, if it is left out and not supposed to be there...throw it in the box labeled misc. and be done with it. Eventually the messes will end :)
- Keeping the faith; Doubting that your house will sell can kill a sale. Fill yourself up every morning with words and phrases that set the positive wheels in motion. Surround yourself with positive thinking books and read an excerpt from each throughout the day. Get your families support including your relatives and friends.
- Promoting the house; Change you answering machine and brag about some features in your house that make it special. You can say something like "Our home is on the market for $000,000 and one of the things we will miss the most is the built-in surround sound in the great room and the large fireplace. Are you or someone you know looking for a family home?"
- Just as you refer your favorite restaurant, refer your home, your agent and home stager; Creating a positive buzz around the selling of your home will help it sell.
- Tell your sphere of influence your home is for sale; This includes your insurance agents, store clerks, postman, everyone you come in contact with in your daily life. Share with them a family moment in the beautiful pool or how the sunset can be enjoyed from the dining room, and make these types of statements in conversational tones. You've got to talk about something so why not talk about the good stuff!
- Visualize, visualize, visualize; See yourself shopping in your new local supermarket, test the bath water in your mind to see if it is the right temperature, set the timer on the sprinklers. Get into it!
- Pack away all the objects that you are attached to; And I mean everything! you will never leave if your energy is still attached to your home. One of the most important steps in preparing for the sale of your house is to un-stick your energy/emotions/love/hate. Everything must be moved and rearranged, even if that chair and ottoman in your bedroom is the perfect location...move it, otherwise when you look at that chair and ottoman, you will attach your emotions to it all over again.