A group of people seeking to preserve the history of the Greater Mount Horeb Area, assembled in March of 1975. They formed the Mt. Horeb Area Historical Society and incorporated with the State Historical Society of Wisconsin in June of that year. This dedicated group developed a mission:
-to provide educational and entertaining programs,
-to participate in local and county historical events, and
-to establish an educational museum.
Their perserverance paid off! The museum opened to the public in 1977, in a space donated by the Village of Mt. Horeb. The Society boasted extensive archives and collections. Unwilling to rest on their laurels, the Society embraced the future, looking for ways to expand on their mission. The Historical Society acquired the former Gilbertson Hardware Store in 1996, to convert it into public museum space.
Today, the Mt. Horeb Area Historical Society enjoys strong local support, accumulating outstanding collections, featuring:
* Thousands of local artifacts
* School, church and regional government records
* Ten thousand photographic images
* Plat maps from 1860 to the present
* Extensive textile collection spanning 1840- present
* Personal writings, clippings, pamphlets,
posters, flyers, and books
The Society continues its valuable work by: servicing permanent and changing museum exhibits, maintaining resources for scholars, genealogists and restorationists, conducting school and public tours, publishing the "Past Times" newsletter on a quarterly basis, and offering historical programs and social events to the public at large.
Next time you visit Mount Horeb, be sure to stop by. The Museum is easy to find:
***Mt. Horeb Area Museum *** 100 S. Second Street, Mt. Horeb WI 53517
Fridays & Saturdays 10:00 - 5:00 pm
Sundays 12:30 -5 pm
Admission is free, donation are always welcome.