Gone are the days of slapping up a for sale sign in the yard and getting multiple offers without having to do any work to your house. House prices have fallen and homes are sitting on the market longer than they use to. You still can sell your house, but now you just have to do more work.
Here are some tips to give you the edge in selling your home before the competition.
1. Hire a full service Realtor.In this market you need every advantage that you can get. A full service Realtor will not just put a sign in your yard and your home in the MLS. They are going to do a cma for you, prepare a net profits sheet, give you tips on preparing your house for showings, give you full service marketing, give you feedback after showings, keep you advised of what is happening in the market, negotiate the contract on your behalf, always have your best interests in mind and help you along every step of the way.
2. Do not overprice your home.It is very important that your home is priced correctly from the very beginning. Studies show that most of your interest will come from the first few weeks on the market. Go over the recent sales of comparable sales in your area and make sure that your asking price is reasonable. If your house is not priced correctly in this market it is just going to sit. Even if you did get lucky and someone offered you a full price contract, your home is still going to have to appraise. If it does not appraise you are going to have to drop the price anyway or take it off the market. Pricing it right from the get go will save a lot of time.
3. Finish your honey do list. To sell your home in this market your house has got to be in excellent condition. Clear the clutter, clean out the closets, put extra stuff in storage, make sure all repairs are done, touch up paint, deep clean your house, clean or replace carpet and most importantly - make sure your house has curb appeal. If your house does not look inviting from the outside no one is going to want to see the inside.
4. Keep your home in show condition. Make sure you are always ready for showings and don't turn away potential buyers. In this market they may not come back for a second showing. Also let your agent put a lock box on your door.
5. Consider offering incentives. You can offer the buyers help with closing costs, the buyers agent a selling bonus or both. Every little bit helps.
6. Don't be discouraged that it is a buyers market. Homes will sell in all markets. By following the tips above you are giving yourself and edge in getting your home sold before your neighbors.