When performing the electrical portion of a home or condo inspection. I'll occasionally run into cases where the property owner knowing nothing of electrical systems decides the best way to power up appliances is through the use of an extension plug.
Use of an extension plug record in and of itself is not a big problem. As long as they are temporary.
The key word here is temporary as extension plugs are not meant to be used as permanent wiring solutions.
When I see an extension plug has been run through a wall. I know it is not meant as a temporary solution and not only that but I consider it extremely dangerous.
Extension plugs need lots of air to dissipate the heat that surrounds the conductors inside the covering. And when running them through walls and ceilings, doorways or through floors. The heat can build up and spark a fire.
I doubt if even Lloyds of London insurance would cover this in case of fire.
Notice that cable was brought up through the wall probably to connect the television set on one side with component video equipment on the other side of the wall.In this particular case there was a fireplace on the other side with no built-in electrical outlet.
When running any electrical extension cord device always make sure to check the tag and see that it is UL listed, also check the label on the cord to see the extension cord is able to handle the amperage of the appliance it is connected to.