WHICH CAUSES THE MOST DAMAGE TO A HOME?
If you answered water you are correct. Water damage results in an estimated $6.8 billion worth of property damage every year.. Many of the water damage claims are the result of appliance and water heater leaks, plumbing leaks or lack of care when using water.
There are a few measures you can take to minimize the possibility of these incidents occurring.
• Check all the window and door seals in your home and replace or caulk as necessary.
• Inspect your tub and shower for leaking shower doors and replace old and brittle caulk. Check the sink and toilet - water stains around the toilet may indicate damage to the tank seals.
• In the kitchen, examine the sinks, icemaker, dishwasher and garbage disposal for leaks.
• Inspect your washing machine hoses checking for sign s of weakness or brittleness. Replace them with stainless steel reinforced hoses.
• Check the hot water heater for leaks and corrosion.
• Store valuables, keepsakes and other memorabilia not regularly displayed in plastic containers.
• If your area is subject to freezing make certain you winterize the exterior spigots.
CONSIDER THIS After 32 years as a Northern Virginia REALTOR® I know the area thoroughly, I know real estate thoroughly and I employ the latest technology. I've gained that expertise serving more than 1500 buyers and sellers. CONTACT ME for assistance with real estate in Springfield, Fairfax County and other Northern Virginia locations.