Exploding Glassware?

By
Services for Real Estate Pros with Marte Cliff Copywriting

Have you ever experienced exploding glassware? shattered glass

I hadn't, until today. 

I was unloading the dishwasher and reached into the cupboard to move a glass to make room for more. As soon as I touched it, it blew up! The cupboard was at head height, so part of the glass hit my face (but no, didn't cut). More flew past me, about 6' out into the kitchen. Some flew off to the side, all over the kitchen counter. Some stayed in the cupboard. 

In other words, there were chunks of glass everywhere.

It blew into (sort of) rectangular chunks rather than sharp shards. They reminded me of shattered safety glass from a car window.

I was in a hurry to get it all cleaned up before the dogs walked in it. So... work got put on hold for an hour or so while I vacuumed and re-vacuumed the kitchen. 

Now I'm thinking that the rest of the glasses from that set should go in the trash. That glass could just as easily have landed in someone's eye - I was just lucky. And for that, I'm thankful. 

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Topic:
ActiveRain Community
Groups:
LATE NIGHT - EARLY MORNING AT ACTIVERAIN
Blogs Happen...
Bartender, Make it a Double
WeBlog Anything (almost)!
Giving Thanks CONTEST ~ GROUP
Tags:
thankfulness
good luck

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
437,839
Greg Large
ERA Real Solutions - Grove City, OH
A Tradition of Trust

Thank God you were not injured in this freak mishap.  I have never heard of such a thing, but certainly agree that the rest of the set must go!  Since you brought it up I am very curious what can cause this to happen.

Aug 23, 2013 09:54 PM #1
Rainer
485,719
Larry O'Sullivan
Sandy, UT

Marte - I have had a glass among many on a draining board explode as you describe. Suggestion of a sonic boom?

Aug 23, 2013 09:58 PM #2
Rainmaker
1,278,827
Donna Foerster
HomeSmart Realty Group - Parker, CO
Metro Denver Real Estate Assistant

Marte~ How strange! I've never had anything like that happen. I wonder what caused it to just explode.

Aug 24, 2013 12:23 AM #3
Rainmaker
1,531,932
Marte Cliff
Marte Cliff Copywriting - Priest River, ID
Your real estate writer

Greg - I am too. I didn't bump it or tap it with another glass, I just touched it with my fingertips.

Larry - It sure is startling, that's for sure!

Donna - I do too. Maybe some glasses aren't meant to go in the dishwasher? But if that's the case, why didn't it disintegrate there?

Aug 24, 2013 12:40 AM #4
Rainmaker
620,637
Brian L. Sirota, Esq.
Bristar Realty (Realtor/Attorney) - Orange, CA
For Solutions: (714) 501-7660

Marte, certain types of glass--often tempered soda lime glass--seem unable to withstand minimal thermal stress, even the slight temperature change from the dishwasher to the cupboard.   Some may even spontaneously explode.   The Pyrex brand has been drawing lots of controversy for this very reason. 

Or, you may just have explosive fingertips!  ;-)   Brian     

Aug 24, 2013 03:46 AM #5
Rainmaker
1,531,932
Marte Cliff
Marte Cliff Copywriting - Priest River, ID
Your real estate writer

Brian - This certainly seemed spontaneous - although I did touch it. 

I think you're right - it's just all my pent up energy. Turns my fingertips into detonators. 

Aug 24, 2013 07:24 AM #6
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainmaker
1,531,932

Marte Cliff

Your real estate writer
Do you have a question about real estate copywriting? Just ask!
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention