Family Fun in Door County, Wisconsin: Where to bring the kids when you're on vacation in Door County.
Although you might be tempted, you can't spend every day on the beach in Door County.
Sometimes inclement weather or too much sun will force you to seek other entertainment.
As a Door County expert, I am OFTEN asked "what are some fun things we can do with our family when we're on vacation in Door County?" Rest assured, I've assembled a list of my top ten things to do as a mother when we're not going to the beach or any of the dozens of parks in Door County. These items are in no particular order, but it's fun to try them all.
1. Lunch at PC Junction. A miniature rail road train will bring your lunch right to your table.
2. Hands On Art Studio. Bring your creative juices and decorate ceramics to remind you of your trip to the Peninsula.
3. Ride the Ferry. Everyone should experience a ferry ride to Washington Island, and there are plenty of beaches and parks, shops and restaurants to explore.
4. If it's evening, go to the Skyway Drive In Theater in Ephraim. It's a great experience and we repeat it several times each season.
5. If your children are ages 5 1/2 or older and you're up for an extended stay, join the Ephraim Yacht Club. The EYC offers sailing lessons for all ages.
6. Speilman's Toy Works in Fish Creek is a great place to take your children if they deserve a treat.
7. Ice Cream: Wilson's (Ephraim), Door County Ice Cream Factory (2 locations in Sister Bay) and Not Licked Yet (Fish Creek) are great places for ice cream and more.
8. Bike! You can rent bikes in Fish Creek, and in Ellison Bay you can "borrow" a bike from the Information Booth.
9. Go Fish! The Kangaroo Lake Causeway is a great place to bring a pole and cast and see if the fish are biting. Bring a lawn chair and a cooler of soda, and plan to have lunch or a snack later at the nearby Coyote Roadhouse.
10. Fun Parks and Amusements. We have several fun parks and miniature golf courses, including the Red Putter in Ephraim, Pirate's Cove in Sister Bay, The Egg Harbor Fun Park, and Johnson Amusements in Sister Bay. Johnson's Park offers indoor electronic games, batting cages, miniature golf, and go karts. Here is a recent evening with my family at Johnson Park: And note who is riding the go-kart (it's my dog, Abbi)
While the owners of Johnson Park will probably not allow anyone to ride a dog through the course again, it certainly made for a memorable evening for us!
There are dozens of family friendly activities in Door County for children, and I've only listed ten. If you need more ideas, use my Buyer Request Form to contact me. Don't be shy, and enjoy your Door County vacation with your family!