If you are listing your home during the fall months, it’s important to remember that buyers will be paying attention to your outdoor spaces. Here’s a few tips for fall:
- If you aren’t planning to list until the leaves turn, consider taking a few pictures around your home’s exterior now, shooting wide shots of the whole yard and closer shots of your more outstanding features. Print them and put them in small photo album and leave on your kitchen table during showings so buyers can see what they will get in the spring.
- Keep your lawn raked and mowed. Doing a little bit every day will go a long way in keeping up with the leaves. That giant maple tree in your front yard is beautiful during the summer, but when the leaves drop in the fall, it could just look like a lot of work to a prospective buyer. Falling leaves are a fact of life, but just as you shouldn’t leave dirty dishes in the sink during a showing, you should rake your leaves.
- Replace your summer flower pots with hardy fall like mums and kale. Tolerant of mild frosts, these will last you through a good freeze. Remember to keep them watered.
- Clean up your flower beds and vegetable garden if you have one. Dead head flowers and pull out dead plants. A fresh sprinkling of mulch will dress up your beds nicely. You can buy bagged mulch fairly inexpensively at home centers. Consider popping in a few mums around your beds. Dig a hole and pop the plant in, pot and all, for an easy way to beautify your landscape without a permanent commitment.
- Clear out your gutters and window wells as soon the leaves drop. An inspector will notice these things anyway and the buyer may require this to be done before closing.
John and Becky Durham are Eastern WI and Minnesota real estate agents with Durham Executive Group and RE/MAX Results in Woodbury,
MN. They specialize in selling and marketing luxury homes, but are proud to work with clients in all price points and stages of life, from first time buyers to downsizing empty nesters. For more information about us, check out our website at www.results.net/john.durham
John Durham - 651-231-2191 firstname.lastname@example.org
Becky Durham - 651-231-2192 email@example.com