Janice Ankrett, of Janice Ankrett Home Staging in Burlington ON, has reminded us of what we need to do when our homes are on the market. It doesn't matter if your home is for sale in Ontario or Palm Beach County, it is important to make sure your possessions are secure when you prepare your home for sale.
Of importance is to remember that people's eyes do wander and drawers and cabinets will be opened. Follow the suggestions she makes to help you have a safe Open House or viewing by the public.
Selling your home is a very 'public' process.
You are opening your home to the public for all to see in hopes of finding the perfect buyer. There will be MLS photos on the Internet accompanied by your address. Realtors will be bringing clients through for viewings. Your Realtor may hold a public open house to attract buyers.
Keep this in mind as you prepare your home for sale.
Here are some tips to keep your possessions secure:
- Put all medications out of sight. That box on the counter may be convenient for you but it also leaves them open to tampering.
- Store alcohol out of sight. They say tastings have happened.
- Video games, DVDs and CDs are pocketable. Box them up while on the market.
- Jewelry is also pocketable. If it has monetary or sentimental value place it in a safety deposit box or at a relative's home.
- If you have a valuable piece of art store it.
- Keep extra keys out of sight. They are also easy to pocket.
- Is your child's name or photo up on their bedroom wall? Remember their room will be in the MLS photos showing their approximate age, sex and name.
- Don't forget about i pads or i pods. They should also be kept out of sight.
- Appointments on your calendar can be read by all.
- Anything special to you should be packed away. There is always the chance of accidental damage.
- Store the gun cabinet. Locked or not, do you really want buyers seeing that you have guns in your home?
Selling is a 'public' affair. Just how public is up to you.