I've had somewhat of a lot of experience selling on Craigslist and Facebook Yard Sale Pages and there are a lot of things that just irk people off. Here's some hints to get or sell what you want and walk away with a happy transaction.
For Buyer/Person In Need:
1. Read the AD! If it says the GIG pays $50; don't say it will cost $100
2. If the ad asks for information (such as experience or phone #'s) don't leave that information out!
3. If the ad isn't specific, ASK QUESTIONS.
4. If the ad says the item is selling for $20; don't show up and offer $10. Negotiate prior to meeting.
5. If the ad says the item is $25, don't show up and write a check
6. If the ad says the item is $25, don't show up and say you forgot a $5 bill or ask for change.
7. Show up when you say you are going to show up
8. Don't be rude! Don't take all the time in the world to decide if you want the item or not.
9. Craigslist is an Internet Source. Don't demand that the seller/lister CALL YOU with a phone #. Email back.
10. Don't show up unexpectedly!
11. Once you pay for the item, it's yours. Don't call or write back and ask to return it.
12. Don't flake out. If you can't show or have to reschedule, communicate!
13. If the item says you need help moving it or you need a truck, don't come without these!
14. If you are responding to a gig, be courteous, professional, spell correctly.. Don't use CAPS.
For Seller/or Wanted Listing:
1. Be specific. Condition, cost, dimensions, job duties, time, location, special notes, etc. Don't hide the flaws or gory details. If you're on the top level of a 5 level apartment building, tell them!
2. Be specific about costs (cash only, no change given, no checks) etc.
3. Be specific about location, give the correct address
4. Be there when the person shows up!
5. Be polite! Don't be rude.
6. Offer your phone # ONLY if you want to receive calls.
7. Provide a LOT of photos! It will be easier to sell to the right person that way.
8. Ask for a price that's reasonable. Not like "MOW 2 ACRES, $10, BYO GAS & MOWER."
9. Make sure you post the ad when you're around! Not when you're about to leave on vacation.
10. Try to have change on hand.
11. Delete your AD after the item is taken or GIG is up!
12. Honor your agreements!