Addison Pacesetters Learn About Addison's Fire Department.
Addison Pacesetters (Addison, Texas residents 50+ years of age) meet the first Wednesday of each month at Dunn Bros. on Belt Line Road and learn about the Town of Addison. This month, Battalion Fire Chief Chuck Taylor spoke to us. Here are some tidbits from his discussion and the Q & A session that followed:
- The Chief started in Addison in June, 1985.
- The relationships between the fire department and other Addison departments - like one big family (a family where everyone likes each other).
- If you need your blood pressure checked, you can go to either fire station. They will log the results and follow strict privacy proceedures.
- The Town has been doing smoke detector battery replacements in October for over 20 years.
- CPR courses are offered the 1st, 3rd and 5th Saturdays of every month.
- The fire department rescues not only people, but pets, too.
- If you'd like to get a "Knocks Box" for your house, contact Captain Mitchell in Fire Prevention. You'll get a metal box installed at your house so that the firemen can get in without knocking the door down. The fire department will have a key to open the box to retrieve your house key.
- The Addison Fire Department recently received Accreditation. We're one of 5 cities in Texas with the accreditation, one of 170 in the nation.
- The Chief encourages visits to the fire stations. He says "We may doze but we never close!".
Next month, the first Wednesday is November 6th. Come out and join the Addison Pacesetters at Dunn Bros. and learn about the town of Addison. The speakers begin their presentations at 10:30 am. Come early, grab a cup of coffee. The Mayor holds court at 10:00 am, so if you have questions about Addison, that's a good time to get answers. See you next month with the Addison Pacesetters at Dunn Bros.