Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain Restored, Sarasota, FL. Dismantled and covered over with dirt for 60 years the Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain has been renovated and is once more flowing at the southern gateway to downtown Sarasota.
The Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain is located in Luke Wood Park adjacent to the Senior Friendship Center on the north side of US41 just prior to entering downtown Sarasota. The fountain was built in 1936 by the Sarasota Federation of Garden Circles in honor of Mable Ringling, wife of John Ringling, a key figure in Sarasota history.
The fountain began to deteriorate during World War II as funds to maintain it dwindled. The fountain was filled in and covered over with dirt in the 1950s. And so it remained until local historian Larry Kelleher of Sarasota History Alive! raised the awareness of the Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain.
The Sarasota Alliance for Historic Preservation initiated the $75,000 restoration project. Along with Grants from the Selby Foundation and the help of the Ringling Museum, students from the Sarasota Military Academy and dozens of other individuals and businesses the fountain was restored. A revolving fund has been set up for the maintenance of the Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain so that it will not fall into disrepair ever again.
To commemorate the restoration of the Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain, an invitation only "High Tea With Mable" was held at the Senior Friendship Center adjacent to the fountain on January 12, 2014.
It is the many such interesting stories like these that continue to make Sarasota such a wonderful place to call home. After years of neglect it is a pleasure to see the Mable Ringing Memorial Fountain Restored, Sarasota, FL.