Responsibilities of Landlords and Tenants in Connecticut.
Be it in Connecticut or any other part of the country Landlord ~ Tenant relationship is a two way street. Every state has their own specific laws for rental property and here in Connecticut the Judicial Branch has put together a PDF to help landlords and tenants understand the current laws.
“Rights and Responsibilities of Landlords and Tenants in Connecticut” is a 36 page on-line pamphlet that addresses a number of issues and responsibilities that can come up between a Landlord and Tenant such as:-
- The purpose of a lease and what should be in it.
- Responsibilities of the Tenant.
- Responsibilities of the Landlord.
- Apartment walk through and checklist.
- Discrimination and Fair Housing Law.
- Security Deposits how much can be charged and what it can be used for.
- Eviction Process.
- Rent Increases and Fair Rent Commission locations.
Some useful tips in the pamphlet that create a good working relationship between Landlord and Tenant are:-
- Inspect rental unit with the landlord and tenant using a checklist at move in and move out, both parties sign.
- Take pictures move in and move out.
- All requests and notices between landlord and tenant should be in writing with a date, e-mail is very good for this.
- Security Deposits may be used for:-
- Property damage beyond normal wear and tear.
- Major cleaning costs required due to rental unit being left in an unsanitary condition.
- Unpaid rent.
Landlord/Tenant relationship works both ways were the landlord provides a clean living space that follows the local building and fire codes. In return the Tenant will pay the rent on time, notify landlord of any repairs needed, keep the unit in clean and good condition and obey local laws and ordinances.
David Popoff is a license Connecticut Real Estate Broker specializing in Sustainability in lower Fairfield County, Connecticut.
DMK Property Management llc a locally owned company serving lower Fairfield County, Connecticut.
Specializing in Residential Property Management that can custom tailor a program to fit the homeowners needs be it short term or long term from rental management to full estate management.