Asking the Right Questions -
Sometimes we show a client 5 homes and sometimes it's a lot more. Buyers will ask some of the most interesting questions to assist them in making a decision. But is it really about that answer or are they delaying their purchasing decision for different reasons? Are there underlying questions that they don't know the answers?
Purchasing a home is not an easy decision. There are lots of questions. How many bedrooms do we need? How many bathrooms? Do I want a great room floorplan? Do I need extra garage storage for toys?
Whatever the questions are, as agents we need to ask the right questions in order to gauge buyer interest before we start showing them homes. It isn't always easy to know what to ask a home buyer, but this list might provide some insight:
- Have you consulted a lender?
- How long have you been looking?
- When was the last time you purchased a home?
- Describe your current home to me so that I know the features in this home.
- How has your situation changed since purchasing your last home
- What features would you like to have in your new home?
- If you found the perfect home, how soon would you want to move?
Sometimes, it's not about bedrooms and bathrooms, but about what's behind the buying decision. They may not know all of the answers themselves so you might be uncovering motivations that are new to them. Whatever their motivation, getting to the source of their interest is key, so asking the right questions might short cut the process.