Just last week I flew out to Chicago to speak at a realtor conference of several hundred agents from across the U.S. and Canada. The main topic of my particular session was to discuss some of the unique marketing strategies that I employ in the Whistler resort real estate market. It was also a really fun opportunity to meet a wide spectrum of agents who work everywhere from Washington DC to Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee, Colorado and even L.A..
I have to say that my most eye-opening discussions were with a father & son realtor team from Detroit. That market was the canary in the coal mine and was hit first in the economic meltdown back in 2005. It has finally started to recover though. Single family home prices in Detroit went down as low as $30,000 but those same homes have since rebounded to $90,000 or higher with multiple offers being the norm this year.
I also had a chance to go to a Chicago Blackhawks game at United Center (aka "The Madhouse on Madison") and it truly lived up to it's name. Chicago fans are at a whole other level! Lots of exciting scoring too as the Blackhawks beat the Senators 6-5.
Whistler Links for This Week
- The Whistler Real Estate Company is moving to a swanky new office across from the Whistler Library after nearly 20 years at Marketplace!
- Some really great things to do and make with your leftover Halloween pumpkins.
- In case you've been living under a rock and haven't heard, there are 2 new lifts at Whistler Blackcomb for the upcoming 2013/2014 season. Check them out with video of the construction here.
- Finally, there's snow in them thar hills! Click here for the latest footage of the snow up high on Whistler Blackcomb. This video is from early October but there's way more up there now that it's a month later.
Here's the latest Whistler & Pemberton property action:
Notable New Listings
- I just listed this old-timer ski cabin in Emerald Estates at 9588 Emerald Drive at $749,000. This is a court ordered sale and we already have an accepted offer and we've also had close to 3 showings a day for the past week. I think there will be a multiple offer frenzy on this one once it goes to court in a few weeks. Call me if you want in on the action and I can advise you through the court ordered sale process.
NEWSFLASH!! The active listing inventory in the combined Whistler and Pemberton area currently sits at 706 active listings which is down by a whopping 78 listings from 2 weeks ago. Listing inventory in Whistler is shrinking at an astonishing rate folks.
If you think the Whistler market is still dropping, think again. The market bottom was late last year and early in 2013. Prices are now starting to trend higher overall due to the shrinking inventory. There's still time to catch these low prices but you have to be quick in a market like this. We're seeing multiple offers every day here now and buyers are losing out by being too slow to react when they find a property they like.
As always, click here for your Morning Coffee inspiration and don't hesitate to call me if you're coming to town soon and we can discuss your Whistler real estate needs.
Have a great week!