As real estate agents and brokers I am sure we have all been told this by our clients. They find a home thy want, but do not like the price. Here are some tips I use to figure out the 'real price' on the home.
1. Get a list of all upgrades and improvements. Get the values and let the client know.
2. Do a comparable market analysis of similar homes and then add on the xtras on the home they love.
3. Show them the other homes at similar prices that have recently sold in the area.
4. Tell them the appraisal will tell it all. ]
5. I also tell them to not believe Zillow or Trulia. In many cases, their information is not correct.