1. Be authentic. Add some personality to your tweets and show your authentic self. This doesn’t mean disclosing every detail of your life, but all business all the time is boring.
2. Be interested in others. The best way to build followers is to engage and respond to what others are saying. People like people who are interested in them - so be interesting!
3. Get a smart phone app to tweet on the go. Most real estate agents are in the field - a lot. We often have down time when waiting for appointments, sitting at open houses or inspections or even showing property. Grab a few minutes while you are waiting to send a few tweets from your smart phone!
4. Respond in real time. If you don’t spend a lot of time on twitter, you can modify your settings to have Twitter send you an email when someone mentions your name.
5. Use a desktop application like hootsuite.com to track your mentions, schedule tweets and measure the results of your efforts. Other similar desktop applications include Tweetdeck and Seesmic desktop.
6. Don’t send automatic DMs. Some third party Twitter programs allow you to send automatic direct messages to followers. Don’t use them - they are obviously automated and appear impersonal. Many Twitter users will unfollow people who send them automated direct messages.
7. Don’t spam your network. If you only talk about your listings on Twitter, you will find it difficult to establish relationships and engage with users.
Be sure you follow the team on Twitter!