Simple Tips For Preparing Your Home For Sale
As of the time of this article, Spokane home values have increased and home sales in the Spokane area are up 22% compared to the same time period in 2012.
An additional positive fact for home sellers is the decreased amount of listings compared to the same time period in 2012.
While the real estate climate may have shifted in the favor of sellers, it is still imperative that home sellers take the time to prepare their home for listing – beginning in the few weeks leading up to listing your home.
The list below is a good start:
- Make sure bushes, Shrubs and trees are trimmed
- Make sure plants are trimmed, Flower beds are weeded and mulched.
- Make sure lawn is free from weeds and debris, trimmed, edged and cut
- Plant flowers, shrubs, and trees at least 12 inches from your house. Plant flowers, shrubs and trees with the mature size (maximum size) in mind and plant them further from the house based on expected maturity size.
- Sweep all walkways, patios, and decks
- Mow and green up your grass with fertilizer
- First impressions are lasting impressions
- The longer your property sits on the market the less likely it is to sell at or near asking price so it is important to get these tips implemented before your property goes on the market.
- Make sure roof is clear of moss, debris and obstructions.
- Make sure the gutters are secure and clean
- Make sure windows and shutters are clean and in good repair
- Make sure siding is clean and secure
- Make sure that there is no peeled paint inside or out
- Make sure doors and hinges are clean and oiled
- Use neutral paint colors inside (touch-up where necessary)
- Neutral colors are easier to sell
- Each room should be clean of clutter
- Each room should be well lighted and free of odors
- Make sure you open drapes or shades to brighten room
- Make sure you keep toys, shoes, clothing and other inappropriate objects off the floor
- Make sure you clean your carpet—replace if necessary
- Make sure bathroom and Kitchen is especially clean—eliminate clutter
- Make sure you keep trash to a minimum inside
- If your home needs work—do it to maximize sales price
- Make sure potential buyer is pre-qualified (or preferrably pre-approved) for a home loan
- Make sure you get pre-qualified(or for more bargaining power pre-approved) before you start your home search—unless, of course you intend to pay cash.
- Make sure you dust furniture and clean all windows
- Make sure you turn off TV or better yet don’t be around when your home is being shown as most real estate agents and potential buyers are uncomfortable when the seller is present.
- Make sure you keep pets out of the way—preferably outside when house is being shown
- Realize that the first offer you get will normally be your best offer—however use your best judgment
- Make sure rooms are freshly painted and bright (neutral colors are usually best).
- Make sure light switches and covers are clean.
- Make sure screens are repaired and cleaned.
- Make sure chandeliers and glass covers are clean
- Make sure carpets have been professionally cleaned or replaced with neutral carpets.
Subscribe to CommentsComment