Finding the Right Realtor to Help with Your Relocation
Video #4 in my Relocation Tips Video Series is about helping you find the right real estate professional to assist in your relocation, assuming you are going to buy a new home and not rent (a good agent can help with that, too).
Here are the prior articles and videos in this series in case you missed them:
Since you are moving to an area you probably don't know well, having a REALTOR® you can trust to help find your new home is critical. There’s lots to worry about and coordinate with your move, and working with an agent who does not understand your issues is NOT helpful.
KNOWLEDGE OF RELOCATION
I feel strongly that working with someone who knows and understands relocation, and preferably has done so personally, is key. Some won’t agree with me on that, but having had 4 major relocations I feel someone who has hands-on experience with a major move gets it and can best assist you. I would ask the person you are thinking of working with to give you the lowdown on their relocation experience.
It’s key to work with a REALTOR® who is very familiar with today’s technology in our business – for communication, for helping you identify a home and community, working through the transaction from a distance (e.g., electronic signatures, emailing, texting), record keeping, and more. This is key since you may be in different time zones and technology will facilitate the process. But there’s also…
CHEMISTRY AND TRUST
Just knowing about and using technology is NOT enough. The REALTOR you want must be someone you are comfortable with and can trust. You want to know they understand your unique situation and are willing to do what it takes to help, including taking time to listen and ask relevant questions.
Consider how responsive they are when you text, email or call initially. That can be a big clue as to how they will respond when you are working together. And find out how accessible they will be if needed. Also, how flexible can they be with regard to your personal schedule, which can be complicated by jobs, kids, and different time zones.
SERVICES AND KNOWLEDGE
What specific services does the REALTOR provide relocating buyers?
- How well do they know the community (ies) you are interested in? (HINT – are they a blogger with posts about the area you are moving to?
- What can they tell you about the community as well as the state of the local market?
- Do they offer a customized relocation package?
- Will they screen properties for you, based on YOUR criteria, not just set you up on a website (while it is important that you have access to on-line properties in the area you are moving to, YOU don't know the area and having someone help screen properties as they learn more about what you want and need is very useful). Using video and photos to help familiarize you with the area is important, too.
- Can they provide you with resources to do your own research (e.g., schools, crime, demographics).
- How will they handle house hunting trips to maximize effectiveness and not waste your time
Is that all there is? No, but it should give you a good idea of some of the things you should have and look for.
Please don't hesitate to call me at (760) 840-1360 so we can discuss your personal relocation situation and needs, and answer any questions that you have.
And if you are not moving to my area, I can still help – I have a huge and high-quality network of real estate professionals around the country in all the major cities. I am happy to help you find the right person to help with your relocation - selling your current home AND buying a new one!