It is pretty rare for us in Greater Victoria to have snow and ice issues for more than a few hours every winter, but looking outside, today might be one of those days that some Eco friendly snow and ice removal tips for greater Victoria Might come in handy. So here we go with our Eco Friendly Snow and Ice Removal Tips for Greater Victoria.
1. Increase TRACTION, Don’t worry about MELTING! Traction is Better than Removal, We know the slippery stuff won’t last here in Greater Victoria more than a few hours anyways. When dealing with slippery and icy conditions, use inexpensive alternatives such as SAND, SAWDUST, KITTY LITTER, FERTILIZER AND EVEN ASHES to achieve increased traction.
2. If You Salt….. KNOW WHEN TO SALT Before is Better than After, There is a best time to apply salt and that is JUST before the snow falls. Preventing snow from sticking from the beginning avoids it from getting slippery. If the snow is already present, try an alternative mentioned above.
3. As with Your Food, READ THE LABELS, look for language like “PET-FRIENDLY” If You decide to Buy an Eco Friendly De-icing solution Don’t settle for weak language such as “eco-friendly” or “safe” when buying ice melt. If a product is safe for pets, it will likely also be safer for your plants your family and to have less polluted runoff.
4. Eliminate SODIUM CHLORIDE….. Under any circumstance DO NOT BUY anything containing: sodium chlorides. This is the chemical concoction that disrupts the salinity of water, harms the fish and animals. In addition, this “road salt” erodes your soil and damages your trees and vegetation (and destroys your driveway). Look for products containing magnesium chloride instead, which is less damaging to the environment, or just go back to the suggestions offered in # 1.
5. The Old Fashioned Way….. “Hire The Neighbours Kid”… Yes, Making a Phone call and offer a financial incentive to your friendly neighbours kid to use a shovel and broom, may be the most eco-friendly, rewarding and safest way to remove the slippery stuff from your walk and driveways…
Thank you for reading our Eco Friendly Snow and Ice Removal Tips for Greater Victoria, Be safe and enjoy the slippery stuff for as long as it lasts, it might be gone by noon….