- Scottsdale Homes for Sale and Home Sales in December 2013 -
Scottsdale home sales in December were better than expected. However, pending sales at the end of the month were at levels we have not seen since around December of 2008.
SCOTTSDALE HOME SALES ACTIVITY - DECEMBER 2013
Below, I have included some charts and information that looks at activity for the previous twelve months.
- Single-family homes for sale are shown in red.*
- Pending home sales are shown in green.*
- December Home Sales are shown in purple.
DECEMBER 2013 RESULTS
- Active Scottsdale Homes for Sale: We are seeing inventory stabilize and taper off after many months of brisk increases. At the end of December, there were 1,889 homes for sale in Scottsdale, which is well above the 12 month average of 1,603.
- Pending Homes Sales in Scottsdale: There was another dip in pending sales in December, which is something we see seasonally. However, this number is quite a bit lower than we have seen in the past several years for December. The challenge with this few pending sales is that sales in January will be impacted. The 12 month average for pending sales is 388.
- Scottsdale Homes Sold: Home sales performed better than anticipated. We came into December with 290 pending sales, yet 332 homes sold. This was an improvement over November's 320 sales. The 12 month sales average is 420 sales.
The next two charts look at Scottsdale home sales activity on a monthly basis.
The first chart compares monthly activity compared to the previous month. For example, sales were up 3.8% between November and December.
The second chart takes a look at sales prices in comparison to the asking prices and at how much of discount the homes sold for on average. In December, buyers got an average discount off of asking price of 4.3%.
Overall, it was nice to see the inventory of Scottsdale homes on the market decrease in December and the closed sales figures surpassed my estimates. However, the pending sale dip, while seasonal, is coming in quite a bit lower than it has been in recent years.
Disclaimer: Homes for sale and pending home sales figures reflect the number of homes in that status at the end of the month. Data and information were pulled from the Arizona Regional MLS (ARMLS) as of 1/1/2014 and can change at any time. The analysis looks at single-family resale homes for sale and home sales in Scottsdale AZ over the last 12 months. Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed. There may be new home inventory in these figures if the developer is using the MLS to market its homes. This post represents the opinion of the author. No warranties express or implied.
Copyright © 2014 Heather Tawes Nelson | Joyce Tawes