CIPS – Certified International Property Specialist
Question: What is CIPS?
Answer: CIPS is a designation abbreviation of Certified International Property Specialist
How to get the CIPS Designation
There are two requirements to be qualified for the designation; with classes being offered through NAR approved instructors.
Requirement number 1: Attend the full 5 days of educational courses and the following two required core courses which are for the REALTORS®
1. Global Real Estate: Local Markets
2. Global Real Estate: Transaction Tools
And three required elective courses chosen from the following list:
1. Asia/Pacific and International Real Estate
2. The Americas and International Real Estate
3. Europe and International Real Estate
4. The Middle East/Africa and International Real Estate
5. NAR –At Home with Diversity Certification Course
6. The Business of U.S Real Estate
7. CRS 200 – Business Planning & Marketing for the Residential Specialist
8. CRS 204 – Creating Wealth through Residential Real Estate Investments
9. CCIM – Residential Real Estate Financial Analysis
Requirement number 2: Gather at least 100 points from any of the following categories
1. Minimum of 3 international real estate transactions that contain an international client, funds, property which includes selling or renting a home in your local market to an immigrant, selling farm, land, vacation home, leasing a commercial property to a foreign investor, assisting your local clients with the purchase of a second home in another country, closing a transnational referral transaction, etc. Maximum transaction points is 75
2. Other experience worth 10-25 points each
a) Approved instructor in a real estate education program such as CCIM, CRS, REBAC, GRI, Corporate University. (25 points each) Maximum instructor points is 50
b) College Degree – count the points ONLY for the highest degree attained. Associates Degree(2 year) = 15 points; Undergraduate Degree(4 year) = 20 points; Advanced Degree = 25 points. Maximum degree points is 25
c) Participation on a REALTOR® Association sponsored Trade Mission. One Maximum Trade Mission points is 25
d) Attendance at real estate, professional or economic development convention in any country OTHER than your own including NAR Study Tours, FIABCI Congresses, MIPIM, SIMA, etc. One Maximum Convention points is 25
e) Work abroad or study abroad for more than one year. (10 each) Maximum abroad points is 25
f) Author of published article on international business or cultural issues. (10 each) Maximum Published article points is 20
g) Author of published book on international business or cultural issues. One Maximum published book points is 25
h) Current membership in a cultural/international organization. (5 points each) Maximum membership points is 10
i) Attendance at NAR International education sessions and events at the NAR Conference & Expo in November. ( 10 each) Maximum NAR Convention & Expo points is 20
j) Foreign language fluency other than your native language – meaning you are prepared to communicate with the client in their native language. (20 each) Maximum Foreign language points is 40
k) Each professional certification and designation offered by an NAR Affiliate, Society or Council(ABR, ABRM, AHWD, ALC, ARM, CCIM, CPM, CRE, CRS, e-PRO, GAA, CREEN, CRI, PMN, RAA, RCE, RSPS, SFR, SIOR, SRES). Other professional designation will be considered upon request. 15 points each. TRC=5 CIPS. Global Program for Association (formerly CIPS AE) = 10 points for REALTORS® only. Maximum Certification/Designation points is 30
l) Member of a REALTORS® Association Global/International Committee, Council or Forum at the State, local or national level. (10 each) Maximum points is 30
CIPS Application Fees for All USA and Non-USA
There is a one- time only application fee of US$75.00 and Annual dues of US$220 which must be paid each year to National Association of REALTORS® and the CIPS network in order to maintain and use the CIPS designation and benefits.
March 31 is the deadline to be recognized at the CIPS Designee Breakfast at NAR Midyear Meetings. And September 30 is the deadline to be recognized at the CIPS Breakfast at REALTORS® Conference & Expo.
Purposes of the Designation
The designation will help you to discover and build more profitable and reciprocal referral relationships and businesses with other CIPS members throughout the world.