Biggest Home Seller Mistakes as of 1-2014 - Sand Section in Hermosa Beach, CA
A poll of 1000 of our Activerain blogging community says, the biggest home seller mistakes are those in this graphic:
- 77% - Overpricing the home
- 34% - Showing availability
- 32% - Cluttered space
- 28% - Odors
- 21% - Being unwilling to negotiate
- 20% - Refusing to make repairs
For the Sand Section and surrounding Hermosa Beach areas we cover, this list is spot on!
Please note that the second and third items are areas that are most completely within the homeowner's control while being big "bang for the buck" changes:
- Showing availability -- real estate agents and their clients have to coordinate between their own schedules, which can make it difficult to set time to see homes for sale. To get top dollar for the home, a homeowner needs to get it shown the most times possible. Restricting showings to 24 hour notice is a BIG reason your house won't get on the list of an agent who is meeting a client to see homes the same morning that the agent is calling YOUR agent to set an appointment.
- Cluttered space -- most buyers have a hard time "mentally moving in" if your family photos and nick nacks fill the walls, there are piles of personal belongings stacked either in rooms or closets, etc. At the least, box up the items. Also good options are donating gently used items to charity, and certainly trashing items that are trash! This will increase the price of your home AND save you money and time on your move - bonus!
Data provided by ActiveRain.com. ActiveRain is an online community of real estate professionals who exchange best practices, write real estate blogs, and get free education from the industry and their peers.