If you are like me here in Avon Lake, Ohio, you are going on one heck of a cold freeze or what they are referring to as a polar vortex. What better time to think about curb appeal for that winter home. Here are some quick ideas to give that home a little extra punch to sell this time of year:
1. Lighting. Consider spot lights for that low light appeal during that after 6Pm or early AM look when the season brings us such limited day light hours. You can get a simple spot light kit for $40 that can follow you to your next new home and be permanently installed. Also consider electric candle lights and a simple but attractive lamp for the front window.
2. Look for a season wreath for the front door. It does not have to be Christmas to have a simple winter wreath on your front door. If it is silk make sure the flowers or leafs are winter season looking growth.
3. Make sure all walks and drive are clear of snow and dry leafs. Not only is safe in this slippery weather but more attractive as it looks like the area is being cared for (like cut grass can be in the warm months).
4. Put it away. Along these same lines make sure the snow shovels are neatly put away and any summer or spring decorations (like left over flower pots) are put away. Leaving an old sled out against the side of garage is actually decorative / alluring to the young family looking for a home, so you can leave that out.
5. Are the windows clean from inside. No child nose or finger prints on the glass that can be seen by a buyer walking up to the house.
6. Are the drapes clean and not faded or dirty. Clean or replace those drapes. And make sure those are pulled back and tied in day light.
7. Inside consider winter pine and cinnamon scents. Either from safe outlet devices or during times people are in the home, a holiday candle.
8. Inside have pictures of the home during summer and spring when the flowers are in bloom and leave the pictures on the dining room table. This way people can visualize the property during the warm season.
Hope these ideas bring you a quick sale!