If I was not in Real Estate and my company transferred me to Elkhart, Indiana how would I find the perfect home for my family? I wouldn't just pack up my belongings and drive to Elkhart and pull into the driveway. Oh, Wait a minute. That's exactly what I would do, because I called Evelyn Johnston, from Elkhart Count Subdivisions. Together we found just the right home. Now the issue at hand is: what do I look for in my new home? Evelyn explains in the blog below.
Tips for Finding the Perfect Neighborhood in Elkhart County Indiana
1. Make a list of all the amenities that are close by in the neighborhood you are considering as your new residence. Keep in mind what distances and routes to each of these places are acceptable and what are not.
2. Determine what the best features of the neighborhood are. This is especially helpful if you are deciding between a few different neighborhoods.
3. Are there parks nearby?
4. Is it scenic and visually appealing?
5. Are there quiet areas, streets, cul de sacs?
6. Are the people friendly in the neighborhood?
7. Is the neighborhood clean? Yards, streets, parks?
8. Are there nice trees and foliage?
9. Do the lots have large or small yards?
10. Are there walkways and are they easily accessible?
11. Is it a safe neighborhood?
12. What are the market values of the homes in the area?
13. Are there many houses for sale?
14. How long ago was the community developed?
15. What is the average age of the people in the area?
16. Are there families with small children in the area?
17. What is the proximity to schools?
18. Are there community events or organizations?
19. Check the Walk ability Score: Walk Score calculates the walk ability of an address based on the distance from your house to nearby amenities. Walk Score measures how easy it is to live a care-free lifestyle-not how pretty the area is for walking. http://walkscore.com
20. Walk around the neighborhood. The best way to determine the cleanliness and friendliness of the neighborhood is to walk around in it and meet its residents.
21. Is there Covenants & Restrictions in the neighborhood?
Whether you are an experienced Home Buyer or just starting out, call me Evelyn Johnston with Elkhart County Subdivisions, LLC to go step by step with you in the Home Buying Process. I can be reached at 574-304-7148.