Why Three Story Townhomes?
Find the Current 3 Story Townhomes for Sale in Charlottesville
Our economy is stagnant in Charlottesville. But then, why are there so many townhomes being constructed?
It seems wherever you look there are newly built, or soon-to-be-built, condos going up everywhere?!
Well, some of the reasons are:
⇒ City/County Planners believe that the best way to preserve a greater amount of free, open space, is to restrict development into tighter confines - often referred to as Cluster Zoning.
⇒ Builders then figure best way to maximize return is to build more on less, and
⇒ Build up rather than out, because cheaper to do so. Almost always less expensive to reduce footprint and build skyward than to widen and build say a 1 level home.
⇒ Builders are responding to current real estate fads - Stainless Appliances and Granite Counters, light and bright are in. And, new construction allows builders to equip these homes to feature the latest and greatest, oftentimes appealing to buyer's desire to stamp their own custom tastes on their home.
⇒ New construction incentifies purchases by offering to pay closing costs, bonuses to buyer's agents, or "extras" for no/low cost (finished basements, for example).
Please Note: Not to sound too cynical, since my wife and I lived very happily in just such a unit for years, there are obvious advantages to this type of design:
• There are three floors, allowing a sense of distinct living areas - need your space? Go to the basement!
• Small, managed Homeowners Associations (HOA) help preserve values by proactively managing assets and amenities, and balancing costs with projected income to keep fees reasonable (to attract new owners) while ensuring no pricey, unforeseen issue, comes up warranting a possible assessment.
• Oftentimes, these units tend to attract a large proportion of like-and-kind minded buyers. For instance, a buyer who might be newly married, perhaps with one child, upwardly mobile in career, attracted to the newness, size, functionality, and cosmetically clean attributes of a three bedroom townhome.
• Many of these newly constructed neighborhoods are within easy reach and accessibility of major shopping and services - again, attracting active lifestyles.
• Exterior maintenance and up-keep, so often the constant concern for detached single family homes, becomes a non-issue for the busy homeowner.
• Many of the 3 story townhouses available today also include a garage as part of the ground-floor design, further adding value.
The general design of the three story townhome uses the ground floor for a garage and one bedroom or extra
den. That ground floor room will often have exposure to
a small patio or some other outside access via a deck.
In some cases this outside access will be partly sheltered
from adjoining neighbors via a fence, giving the homeowner
a very private area to enjoy.
Lower Level Floor Plan:
The main floor is usually entered via the front door, though sometimes builders opt to have you step onto a small entry pad or foyer and then descend/ascend a few steps to get to lower/main level.
Most designs incorporate an open, light, and airy feel by designing the kitchen, dining, and family room, and even sometimes an eat-in area, on this main level. Sometimes builders will incorporate a half wall, or maybe a kitchen pass-thru, to help delineate space. Other times this sectioning is done by strategic furniture placement. These concerns are usually addressed prior to construction.
For instance, if furniture is going to be the main space divider, the builder may install an electrical outlet in the floor - right in the middle of the floor, (ever seen those and wondered...?) so homeowner won't have to drape extension cords across heavily traffiked areas.
The main level also may have a half bath to avoid trudging up or down stairs whenever the call of duty summons.
Main Level Floor Plan:
The third floor will usually house two bedrooms (for a total of three bedrooms in most floor plans) and oftentimes two full baths. Most 3 level townhomes, these days, offer laundry hook-ups on the third floor (some builders even allow preconstruction purchase of laundry machines through the appliance allowance). Some of the higher priced designs WILL have 3 beds on 3rd floor and den/rec room in basement:
Third Level Floor Plan:
Where Can I Find This Townhouse Design In Charlottesville?
As you search around the Charlottesville area, you'll see that indeed, there are a lot of these for sale, whether already built or proposed construction. The popularity of this design with young urban professionals and small families, propugated their continued construction, and now, most anywhere you look around Charlottesville, you will find these 3 level townhomes - whether at the Pavilions At Pantops, Riverwood, Willow Glen, Georgetown Green, Huntwood, Riverrun, Abington Place, Wickham Pond, Dunlora Forest, Hollymead, or Avinity.
Unfortunately, the 3 level townhome doesn't work well with many seniors and elderly due to the large number of stairs involved.
Get a look at some of the most Popular Charlottesville Neighborhoods that have 3 level condos in them.
Why Do People Buy This Type Of Townhome?
We've mentioned a number of reasons already. But, let's recap and add a few additional reasons:
• Possibly hold as a rental income unit
• Lots of space
• Many have garages in lower level
• Someone watching TV in the basement won't disturb another in the bedrooms upstairs
• You can find them in almost every area of Charlottesville and surrounding county
• Since a number of them were built in past 7 years, they'll often have high end up-grades like stainless appliances, hardwood and tile floors, granite, and quality fixtures that won't need replacement in the immediate future
• Some include a full spectrum of amenities, like gym, pool, walking trails, etc.
How do you Find Current Three Story Townhomes for Sale in Charlottesville?
Our website is updated in real time with information from the local CAAR MLS database (Charlottesville Area Association of Realtors Multiple Listing Service).
By visiting our website, Houses In Charlottesville, you can find every 3 bedroom and/or 3 level townhome currently on the market in Charlottesville. Follow this link in order to find the currently available 3 story Townhomes for sale in Charlottesville VA.
In addition, if you have a specific question about this type of home, or any real estate related question, please contact us using the form near the top of this page on the right!