Real Estate Agents Spill The Beans On The Best Way To Sell Your Home!
Recently, ActiveRain, THE site for real estate agents, lenders and contractors took a poll and real estate agents spilled the beans on the best way to sell your home...or more to the point, the biggest mistakes sellers make when they have their home for sale. There were six main things a seller can do when selling their home that can facilitate a faster sale.
1. Work with buyers on requested repairs. 20% of agents polled said not budging at all can at times have a buyer willing to walk because of repairs that are needed.
2. Negotiate with buyers: 21% of agents cited this. Of course there are times when an offer seems unreasonable, but it's an offer that is now on the table and open for negotiations. Some buyers feel that they just can't pay full price for anything. You might not come to an agreement, but closing that door by not countering will not lead to a sale.
3. Address any odor issues your home might have: 28% of agents said this was an issue. Let's face it, you live in your home and have gotten used to any "aromas" that might be in the air be it pet odors, smoke or other odors that tickle the nose of buyers.
4. Clean up and De-clutter: Ok..so I don't really like the term declutter, after all it's not clutter but things you love to have around you, but 32% of agents said that this is very important when selling your home. This is a hard one for many sellers, but let's face it, you're moving so start boxing it up and get a head start!
5. Be open and flexible for showings: 34% of agents say that strict or tight showing instruction can deter not only agents, but buyers as well. We know that there can be some circumstances that can require this like tenants, pets and perhaps an ill seller, but not showing your home while a buyer is ready to look will only have them passing on your home and perhaps offering on another. Please..please, step out and let the buyers and their agent walk through without you there. Buyers tend to get uncomfortable looking when you're there and will often go quickly through your home instead of taking a good look.
6. Be realistic when pricing your home: This is a HUGE one coming in at 77%! We know you want to get the highest and best and your agent does too...BUT, having a home priced too high will have you selling the other homes first as the highest comparable. You'll often find yourself having to do price reductions and always risk your home getting stale with buyers wondering why it's not selling.
When I list your Portland Metro home, It's my job to go over all of these points with you and come up with solutions to get your home sold for the highest and best price in the shortest amount as possible! Stay ahead of the game by not making the most common seller mistakes!
Data provided by ActiveRain.com.
ActiveRain is an online community of real estate professionals who exchange best practices, write real estate blogs, and get free education from the industry and their peers.